Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Every day seems like a lifetime..."

So, I was watching 'How I Met Your Mother' the other day and it aroused a terrific question, one actually related to my world as of recently... "Should an ex be invited to your wedding?"

My boyfriend, David, and I were watching the show and he asked me, "What do you think? Would you invite and ex to your wedding?" I thought about it and realized that there are a lot of factors and questions you need to ask first. For example, how long did you two date? How serious was the relationship? How did it end? Are you still friends and see each other or speak on a regular basis? How does your fiance get along with your ex? And each of those questions have sub-questions...

How long did you two date? 
~What is the cut off? If you were together for 6 months is it ok to invite them? Is anything more than a year too long?

How serious was the relationship?
~If you said "I love you" is that too serious to invite? If you had sex? If you lived together? 

How did it end/Are you still friends?
~If you were able to salvage the friendship and you talk regularly, is that OK? If one person is still bitter about the break up but says they're happy for you, do you invite them anyway? If you have a lot of mutual friends would it be rude not to invite the ex? 

It's just a lot to think about. I know I have a lot of time to think about it personally, but still... I've had a lot of relationships. Some were more serious than others and some friendships were killed because we dated. Thinking about it I could come up with a list of people I've dated that I would definitely say "HELL NO" to them coming to my wedding. But at the same time, I could think of a few exes I would like to be there because we still get along. (or they're dating my best friend...)

I know this does not really have a lot of deep thought or insight but it's just something that's been on my mind since that episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment