Monday, March 7, 2011

"Maybe you're the reason why I'm losing all my decency."

YASO has been doing some pretty awesome things lately. Last Saturday we had our event, Welcome to the Real World. Now, I'm really thrilled about how it went and really pissed at the same time. I am so proud of every single person in YASO. The day started around 2pm when people came to set up. We set up drinks, appetizers, and art in the ministry center. Amy used her amazing eye for photography and had a little over 100 photographs on the walls. I had about 25 photoshopped images. Maddie had some very moving drawings. Krystal had an interesting take on some Disney Princesses. Sam had a very detailed sketch. Shannon had colored drawings that were both moving and adorable. The art was phenominal. We had a few strangers come in to the open house between 3 and 6. Then we all ate and pitched in to set up chairs, the stage, and projector.


We started the 'demonstration' with a slideshow of YASO set to the song "Fucking Perfect" by Pink. It was wonderful, if I do say so myself. =P And then I introduced our speakers. We had about 12 people get up and speak. They shared their stories. They poured out their hearts. It was moving, and emotional, and inspirational. Some stories made me shed a tear or two, some made me bawl like a baby. But the point is, I cried for about 2 hours. I was so broken and weak for all of them that all I could do after it was all over, was get up and go hug them. Even hugging some of them made me start crying all over again.

There were two parents there. One of the children spoke. It was so heartbreaking. The girl who's story it was, couldn't read it. Hell, her friend that was reading it for her, could barely get through it. Her mother left the room because she couldn't handle hearing it. I almost went with her.

I am so proud of everyone on Saturday.

Here's why I'm pissed. 666 people were invited on Facebook. I personally invited 30+ in e-mails and phone calls. I invited a handful of people in person. 10 YASO people changed their facebook images to the invitation. More than that kept posting links to the invite on their page. Patrick invited even more than that. Pat went on the radio and advertised. He wrote an article that got published on the Tribune's website.
People are always saying they want to see change. Something needs to be done about all the hurting in the world. People will "like" a group that is doing something to fix things. Or will "like" a status about standing up for the marginalized. But when it comes to DOING something... people suck. I am SO SICK of people saying, "someone should do something..." YOU DO IT! Seriously. If you see a piece of garbage sitting on the ground do you say "someone should really pick that up" and keep walking complaining about people littering? That's stupid. Pick it up, and throw it away. If you see someone struggling and hurting, someone suffering and starving, do you think, 'someone should help them.'? Stop. Do something for someone else with no strings attached. Don't help someone if they'll go to your church. Don't pick up that piece of garbage because someone else is looking and you want them to give you a pat on the back. Don't "like" someone's status about making a difference if you're not willing to get your hands dirty to HELP make a difference.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment